Monday, July 31, 2006

The light of Christ

I have a confession to make. I love baptisms. All I have to do is smell the chrism oil and I'm instantly taken back to my own baptism. To the promises I made, standing in front of the congregation dripping wet, anointed with the chrism oil in the sign of the cross holding a candle with a smile so big that my cheeks hurt. Walking through the congregation with the words 'receive the light of Christ to show that you have passed from darkness into light.' ringing in my ears. I cannot help but smile - to see this sacrament - this outward visible sign of an inward invisible grace - I find myself amazed every time I am privileged to be a part of one.

Yesterday there was a baptism, and I have often been a part of baptismal liturgies, helping with asperges (processing around the church holding the baptismal waters as the priest sprinkles them on the congregation), acting as a sponsor for one of our youth group who was baptized, serving chalice, but yesterday was different. I read the prayers for the little one to be baptized, and I lit the candle and spoke the words that rang in my ears 4 years ago "Receive the light of Christ to show that you have passed from darkness into light." as I handed the baptismal candle to the baby's mum. I felt a profound sense of awe in that moment. To be part of welcoming that peaceful little baby into the body of Christ, knowing that throughout his life he will always be welcomed by any church he enters. He will have the extended family of the Church who will be there to watch him grow up, learn new things, love, laugh, fall, pick himself back up and continue living. One of the newest little members of the body of Christ.

Welcome little one. Enjoy the ride.

1 comment:

Aurora said...

I think mom is sending you some moneys for the Walk to end Cancer thingy so you can make your goal. Alas, I have given up. But maybe you can still walk that weekend. And I still owe you cash. Will get that to you....yeah, not really a blog comment, but there I go, anyway. Feel free to delete! Much love, cuz.