Monday, July 31, 2006

a whole lotta life....

From Sat July 29th 6pm (ish)
I just spent one of the most enjoyable hours by myself that I have in ages. I sat outside Robarts Library after trying for the better part of 4 hours to get a good handle on my essay (with varying degrees of success may I add). But instead, I succumbed to the smell of street meat and bought myself a hot dog. I then found myself having a fantastic time entertaining a host of little sparrows, perhaps a dozen or so. It was difficult to keep track since they fluttered around so quickly. Some of the nervy little beggars even came right up to my hand to take a little piece of the bun from me. I must have spent an hour of my time and half of my hotdog bun entertaining myself and feeding the birds. I find it incredibly amusing that the first 4 hours were spent trying to find connections between religion and ecology, between creation and creation spirituality, when I have a difficulty separating them in the first place. I guess I just needed to step outside into creation to understand again and gain a little perspective.

And now I'm sitting in the courtyard of Trinity College, watching students play football, frisbee, as a chorus of emergency vehicles pass by I find myself straining to listen to one of the most painfully beautiful soprano voices I've heard, from the wedding inside the chapel. What a wonderful and bizarre combination of visual and auditory stimuli. Life, sickness, marriage, joy, sorrow, happiness. A celebration of what it is to be alive in a few small moments.
The rousing round of applause must mean two people in the chapel behind me are the newest married couple on the face of the earth. May they have a lifetime to love and care for each other.

1 comment:

Fr. Aaron Orear said...

What a beautiful entry!