Tuesday, August 15, 2006

belief in action

My great uncle is a woodworker. He helped my cousin and his girlfriend craft a cherry table complete with leaves that slide under the top for storage. It was absolutely stunning. But technically he is a toymaker. He makes toys for lots of different groups of kids, recently he has made 150 wooden car toys for a group of kids whose parents who gather annually to celebrate the fact that their children, who were born very early, survived. These are the extreme cases where they are only weighed a 2 pounds or so at birth. He also makes educational toys for a local blind school, and rolling stools for parents with autistic kids. He is truly a craftsman.
His latest project is to re-furbish a processional cross from a local catholic primary school chapel. Jesus was hanging on by one nail and tied to the cross with a ribbon... (theologically.... well.!?!?!) Here is a picture of a cross similar to the one he is fixing (likeness of Jesus is fully attached in this photo). I'll post a picture of the finished product.

His dad (my great-grandfather) was an Anglican priest - and they grew up partly in the Diocese of Huron and partly in ste. Agathe in Quebec. He can sing all the old hymns, but doesn't believe in God. He knows all the BCP (book of Common Prayer) words to morning prayer, evensong and the Eucharist, but doesn't believe there is a God. He finds great comfort in the tradition of liturgy, but he doesn't believe in God. (He brought a Qu'ran to my baptism... did I mention he has a sense of humour?!?!) he came, though he doesn't believe in God. He loves and acts and shows true compassion in everything he does. He lives the core of the Christian values that he was raised with. That you should love your neighbour as yourself, and he doesn't just pay lip service to this notion. He lives it everyday. His favourite poem by an unknown author describes why:

I shall pass through this world but once
if therefore there be any kindness I can show
or any good thing I can do
let me do it now
for I shall not pass this way again

But he doesn't believe in God.

He does believe in people.

He does believe we are to do what we can to ease the life of others

If someone was hungry, he'd give them food. If someone was thirsty, he'd give them something to drink, if someone was lonely, scared, sick, he'd comfort them. Interesting... Wasn't it Jesus who said that when you help the least of your brothers and sisters you do it for me. Isn't it all about compassion and living into the words of St. Paul - to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice? He says he doesn't believe in God, but he show God exists, by his every action.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen - this is the most accurate and tender view of Dad I have ever seen - thank you for your wonderful caring - Aura

Aurora said...

I was just going to say what a beautiful tribute to my grandad, but mom beat me to it. oh, and did I mention you made me cry? Much love, cuz.