Thursday, August 24, 2006

Books, books and more Books!

Apparently I’ve been tagged by Aaron for these…. Who was tagged by Fr. Jake, who was tagged by … well you get the picture… round the world with favourite books!

I tag Laura, Aurora, and Matthew ...

1. Two books that changed your life.
In Quest of Jesus, by W. Barnes Tatum. Now I don’t particularly advocate reading this one – it is average in style and it has been a while since I read it, so I can’t remember the scholarship, but this book prompted me to ask questions – and that is why it changed my life. It was the textbook for an undergraduate course called “the Historical Jesus and the Christ of Faith.” It brought out a passion in discussions that I had never known in myself before. It nudged me into action, into living a faith that I had relegated as irrelevant.

The second book is Listening for the Heartbeat of God, by J. Philip Newell. He was a former Warden on the Isle of Iona, and this book was part of the reason I went to volunteer on Iona for six weeks. I came back with a very different perspective on life, and without that experience, I don’t know if I’d be in seminary right now.

2. Two books that you have read more than once.
Harry Potter. The whole set. Yes. And they are all lovely! I guess that qualifies for more than two books, but since it’s a set, I figure you’ll forgive me!

3. Two books you'd want on a desert island.
Not to sound repetitive, but either the BCP or the BAS, to quell my daily office fix.
And the Bible, NRSV, please.

4. One book that made you laugh.
Dave Cooks the Turkey – Stuart McLean – of the Vinyl Café more stories about Dave, Morley, Stephanie and Sam – A true Canadian treasure!

5. One book that made me cry.
Charlotte’s Web, by EB White. Ode to friendship!

6. One book that you wish had been written.
Why is perception reality?

7. Two books that you wish had not been written.
Chicken soup for the Soul (or the teenager, or the scrapbooker, or the cat lover…) They have become a marketers dream – I can maybe see the first couple – but now (I’m not kidding) there are now 22 volumes… perhaps I just don’t get the trend….

8. Two books that you're currently reading.
Drawn into the Mystery of Jesus through the Gospel of John by Jean Vanier. Wonderfully written book, from the caring perspective of one of the founders of L’Arche.
For All God’s Worth – N.T. Wright. An interesting reflection on the need for worship.

9. One book you've been meaning to read.
I’ve picked it up more times than I can count. On Christian Theology, by Rowan Williams has been sitting on my shelf for 2 years, and I can’t do much more than crack it, read 2 or 3 pages and quietly slide it back in its place in the bookshelf.

No comments: