Sunday, August 20, 2006

Half a movie... a horror one at that!

Only one wedding and a Funeral…

A funeral and a wedding happened this weekend. Interesting way to bookmark the weekend. It truly was a celebration of life at the funeral, and it almost became a celebration of death at the wedding, when I came very close to strangling a photographer! Not literally, I hope you understand, but I can have a very forceful ‘don’t mess with me’ look! The photographer AND the videographer BOTH decided to get a different shot of the bride and groom, from the altar side of the sanctuary. Wanna know how they got there? They stepped on the cushions and swung their leg over the communion rail and started to walk in front of the altar. I kid you not. I came really close to losing it, but instead asked them politely to step back over the rail. So what did she do??? Walk over to the other side of the altar!!! I was communicating the chalice… I couldn’t follow her. I was angry and horrified. This is a sacrament, a holy moment of the joining of two lives. Pictures, video have perfect places – when the music is playing – when the bride walks down the aisle, when they are signing the register. Not when I’m reading from 1 Corinthians 13, not when the couple is being prayed for and certainly not when the Eucharist is being celebrated!

I'm rather speachless... all I can say is ... Oi !!!!

3 comments:

Fr. Aaron Orear said...

I REALLY dislike (since Christians, and definitely seminarians, aren't supposed to hate) pushy photographers at weddings and such. You know, the best memories will be inside the heads of the people present. For the people who couldn't be there, well that's life. Hear about it in stories...it'll be a lot more powerful that way anyhow.

Kristen said...

Couldn't agree more Aaron... couldn't agree more... Stories always make the event come to life!

Although I think (even as seminarians) we can hate the stupid and disrespectful things that people DO!

Aurora said...

not to join in the club of 'stupid and disrespectful people' but I seriously don't know the significance of walking behind/in front of the altar etc....maybe the photographer just needed to be educated on which areas were sacred space and therefore 'no go' areas.