Friday, October 06, 2006

tales from the chapel

I always thought I was a morning person. Not that I enjoyed getting up at an early hour, but more that I function better in the morning. I think that is still the case, but I'm being forced into becoming an early morning person. I leave the house at 7 to make it to the church for chapel at 8:30. I like to give myself a bit of a cushin to the detriment of my sleep patterns - and now that the adjustment is permanent - I caught a cold and I can't stop sneezing. I feel fine, I just don't sound it!

Chapel is a wonderful adventure. I had to introduce myself to the kids this past week. Who would have thought I would have been nervous in front of 200 kids? I used to volunteer in public schools to help teach kids - the kids don't scare me... talking about myself in front of all of them does! Apparently the first day I didn't talk long enough, and the rector said 'ahh, a woman of few words - very rare!' and the second day - it was a little better, he just said 'now let's see if she can read!' We (me, kids and teachers) all broke out laughing... especially since reading (much to my surprise) is well within my comfort zone. Strange to hear those words from my mouth, but it's true - reading doesn't scare me anymore. The joys of learning how to not be as shy as I truly am. But it is so hard to do!

I preached my first sermon without notes and realized halfway through, that I had completely forgotten a whole section. Not ready for no notes yet... but I tried it!

I'm off to get stuff ready for next chapel on Wednesday - it's nice that Monday is a holiday - since all my classes are on monday, I get a week off school :-)

No comments: