Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Bishop Blesses

News today of Archbishop Terence Finlay (retired bishop in Toronto) causes me to cheer from the sidelines. This past summer he officiated in a service at a United Church where he blessed the union of a same sex couple. He has now been sanctioned by Bishop Colin Johnson - who I'm not sure had much of a choice in the matter - because the Church still does not officially condone or bless same sex unions.

From the news: Finlay told the Anglican Journal he did not officiate as a "publicity stunt" to force a debate on the issue in Canada, though his views on same-sex marriage have developed in the years since he fired Jim Ferry, a Unionville minister. (in 1991)
"Life in the church was very different in those days," he said. "I married two people who love each other deeply; they care about the church and I believe their commitment has been blessed by God."


"I think our church has waited a long time and has discussed this issue over and over and in this particular situation, time just run out for me. For me now, this issue has moved from one of unity to one of justice."

More information can be found on the Anglican Journal site


Apparently it is now being seen as a human rights issue - Don't know what you think - but I think it's been a human rights issue for too long. Thank you Archbiship Finlay!

No comments: