Saturday, October 07, 2006

Delayed Friday post...

I think I'm going to LOVE fridays.

Every other one I get to spend the first hour of my day with 400 (yes four hundred) kids from grade 1 to grade 8 in Chapel. They do announcements, someone reads the scripture, we sing hymns (to varying speeds on the organ... depending on just how fast the organists fingers can go - it is not uncommon that she can play faster than we can get the words out!)

Chapel ends with a prayer for the school, the grace and the singing of this:

Laudate Dominum, Laudate Dominum
omnes gentes,
Alleluia

(rest, rinse and repeat - sometimes in English)
Sing praise and bless the Lord, Sing praise and bless the Lord
Peoples, nations,
Alleluia

Unless of course you are in grade one or two and can't read Latin (perhaps I should extend this to people at my age... but I digress), you may have been heard singing:

Long may the donkey run, Long may the donkey run
onward, gently
Alleluia!

But you know what? It makes more sense to someone who speaks English as opposed to Latin! However, I thought I was going to split a seam trying to keep my laughter in! If you have ever had a terrible day or a terrible week, there is something so wonderful about hearing that many kids sing. It truly has the ability to raise anyone's spirits!

No comments: