Saturday, September 23, 2006

Linens, Death and the goodness of Questions!


A-ha! I discovered that the lack of linens after Div week was not my fault after all! I had been doing them wrong for the past year! I thought we did them the week after chapel team = apparently (as it turns out) we do them the week we are ON chapel team. So I'm off the hook! The linens were not my fault! Ahh.... relief!

I sat on the steps of Trinity Library yesterday. I had to make an interesting phone call yesterday to Turner and Porter, a funeral home in the west end of Toronto to see if I could set up a tour/visit for my class in Death, Dying and Grief. It apparently has to include the preparation room - she wasn't sure if that was possible and so is going to give me a call back. After I hung up, there was an undergrad out smoking who asked if he heard me right... was I a Div and was I trying to arrange a tour of a funeral home? Well - he heard right and it opened up the door for a very interesting conversation. He informed me that he was a very committed atheist - but that he believed that there is the possibility that there is a God. He was quite open to the possibility. He was raised in a Christian home, with Christian values, in a largely Christian society here in Canada. He said he just couldn't swallow all of the religious rhetoric and literalisms. For the most part, I just listened throwing in a few comments here and there - 'just because I'm a christian, doesn't mean that I've shut off my mind', 'I've often wondered if being an atheist means you have to have more faith than I do as a Christian!' and my favourite little quote from Ann Lamont 'the opposite of faith is not doubt, but certainty.' Our little chat ended when he said that I'd given him something to think about.
Good.
Thinking is Good.
Wrestling, struggling, wondering, pondering, questioning... IS GOOD.

I've missed Trinity - glad to be back here!

1 comment:

Fr. Aaron Orear said...

Actually, last year we DID do linens the week after. The new routine was introduced to the first-years during orientation week, and to liturgy teams as they take their turns.

Great story about the conversation. It's those small moments when we can let the world know who we really are.