Friday, September 29, 2006

the font, wood and promises


Here's a picture of the baptismal font in the abbey church on Iona, just struck me as just the thing to post today. It's particularly appropriate since today is the 5th anniversary of my baptism. Happy Birthday me! (and ironically I get to leave that message tomorrow on my actual birthday!). I have an annual tradition of lighting the baptismal candle I was given that day, and reflecting upon the past year. I won't post that here and bore you, but it truly has been a remarkable year.

So I looked it up on the handy dandy internet and found out that the symbol for a fifth anniversary is wood, so I'll tell you a brief story about some wood! Don't know if you remember or not, but earlier, I told you about my uncle and his woodworking talents. Well yesterday was the first time the processional cross that he re-did was used in the school's chapel. He was invited to the service, where the priest sanctified the cross for use in the church and the whole school had put together a thank you book for my uncle. The background of the pages was the shape of the new cross and each kid put their finger print and signed their name next to it. These pages were all bound in a handmade book... with.... you guessed it... a wooden cover. He was so overwhelmed that this meant so much to these kids. When I get a photo, I'll post it - it truly is beautifully crafted!

A lot has changed in the past 5 years, but the promises I made that day are ones that I still try to live out, everyday.

No comments: