Monday, June 26, 2006

Ministry of Hospitality

I suppose the next bit is a bit difficult. I haven’t been a newcomer to a parish in a while, and I had forgotten the uncomfortable feeling of being dismissed at the end of a service, and invited to not join the parish for coffee… but instead hearing something like: I’m glad you could join us, hope to see you another Sunday. It was made very clear that he wasn’t trying to “recruit” me, but also in the ensuing exchange, it was made very clear that I should get going... Everyone with me felt the same way – it was pretty strange! We decided what the heck – I’m going to go down for coffee anyway, but were greeted at the door by a woman who had arranged for a cake, who said she didn’t know that I was going to be confirmed, so my name wasn’t on the cake (fair enough!), not that there would have been any room anyway… but she supposed that we could come down anyways… if we wanted…
The ministry of hospitality is truly a ministry and an art – I’m saddened to say that felt rather unwelcome… but what an important thing to learn – I never want anyone to feel like that.

No comments: