Thursday, June 15, 2006

Maine?????

So… apparently I’m going to Maine. Calais Maine to be specific (about 100 miles from Bangor). What the heck is with Maine (aurora… tell me!). James (our youth group leader) and I are renting a small bus or a big van and taking 8 to 10 kids to coastal Maine as an outreach initiative. James used the word “Mission” and made me go all squeamish… I’ll take “outreach initiative” thank you very much! We’ll be leaving Toronto on July 1 and returning on July 8. The programme focuses on 3 areas of ministry – children, work with the elderly and home improvement. This is yet another chance for all of us to put our faith into action. It is an ecumenical (alright I’ll say is) mission, and there will be kids from all over that our group will be working with. We will be painting houses, playing games with kids in after school programmes and working / chatting / being friendly visitors with the elderly.

I'm waiting to find out more information...

3 comments:

Aurora said...

Oh man, I had no idea! I haven't been to Calais, but I'll ask Mary today about it....
Maine is kind of like a step back into the '80's somehow. Lots of small towns, the speed limit is only 25m (like 45km/hr) in most places, and the small-town cops have a thing for pulling over girls in red cars and ticketing them. (It was a stop-sign roll through...seriously, guys. That's all I'm going to say!)
We have Maine-care instead of welfare, TANF (food stamps) instead of food banks (although the food banks do exist), and lots of state parks (make sure you take your group on a hike while you're here. The woods in Maine are awesome!)

Much love,
Aurora

Aurora said...

So I asked, and the answer was "not much"...but you'll be there over the Fourth of July weekend...small town celebrations are usually pretty creative! Much love!
Aurora

Kristen said...

ha! So I've heard... not much, but beautiful... looking forward to being in your neck of the woods!