Sunday, June 25, 2006

Confirmation...

Today I found myself sitting in the front pew in an unfamiliar church, comforting some very nervous twelve year olds. We were all being confirmed and they were so nervous! They were asking questions like “What if I don’t remember what I’m supposed to say?” , “What if I get it wrong?” ,“What if people laugh?” I think (and hope!) that I was able to give some comforting words – they did seem to relax a bit!

Bishop Poole addressed us quite directly throughout his sermon. He told a story about the intricacies of shutting down a cottage, turning off the power, raising the docks, draining all the pipes and scooping all the water out of the toilets. Specifically about his friend who walked in as the good bishop had his hand in the toilet wiping out the rest of the water. His friend shouted, “What in God’s name are you doing?” So his question to us was just that. What in God’s name are we doing? How can we see God in our lives? Where is God using our names?
Great questions – ones that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to fully answer!
Now, I know the confirmation service off by heart, inside out and backwards. The Bishop asked each of us the final question individually, “Do you put your whole trust in his grace and love?” and the answer was “I do, and with God’s grace I will follow him as my Saviour and Lord.” The kids were so nervous – One of them had a learning disability and couldn’t quite get through it and stumbled along, and got quite embarrassed and red in the face. But she did it! She made the promises she came to make. In fact they all did with only some stumbling. Even I stumbled over the words, I’m not really sure why – I knew the words, I wasn’t really nervous… strange. But the young girls mum came up to me after the service and thanked me for messing up the response, and for telling her daughter that it was her promise to God, and it was more important to mean what she said, then get the words perfect. (and that and having me… the adult…. stumble along too, made her feel better!).

1 comment:

Aurora said...

way to encourage a child, even if you didn't mean to!!