Monday, March 13, 2006

IDIOMS


We say things or hear things in the course of every day conversation and often think nothing of them. Some of them have biblical roots like one of my dad’s favourite sayings about his latest project; it will be finished “in the fullness of time.” (Gal 4:4). But these sayings are taken completely out of context! Sometimes they just relate to Christian God-talk like “Bless you” or “You’re and angel”. But it truly struck my funny bone to hear these used in the context of a meeting! The other day I actually started keeping notes of the sayings that were used, and it truly was educational! It began when a colleague who just returned from 2 years working in the US, walked into the meeting and was greeted with “Well – the prodigal son returns” (I’m not totally sure if they were happy to see him or not – but I’m guessing not!) The conversation began and we got stuck because “the devil” is in the details. It was decided that there would have to be “a grace period” for our sales reps when the new product is launched (hmm… grace you say…). It was “not Kosher” (odd inclusion for a Hebrew purity law) to offer that because the pricing is not yet “written in stone” (Don’t think Moses and his commandments had anything to do with photocopiers either). It was made abundantly clear that we should “Thank God” if we actually get this done in time, (I wonder if he truly meant he would thank God if we hit the deadline) but others were not sure we’d make it, thinking that we may only finish “by the skin of our teeth.” (that wonderfully descriptive saying from Job!) Now that month end is over my finance analyst is no longer “burning the midnight oil” and sending out e-mails at “un-godly times” of the night because the VP is “hell-bent” on launching it, as is. (does that mean she was good for working hard… or silly for putting in her personal time… I know what I think!). But you know what? By the end of the amusing two hours, I just “washed my hands of the whole thing” (un-ceremoniously lifted from when Pilate handed Jesus over to be killed Matthew 27:24)
If you really stop and think about it, we do say some of the most ridiculous things!

No comments: