Sunday, May 07, 2006

survival of the fittest...

I made it. wow.
Had a great time at Carolyn's, we BBQ'ed, drank g&t's, chatted, laughed, and watched some ever irreverant 'family guy' episodes... i'd never seen it, but enjoyed the off colour humour! Jesus and Moses make some interesting appearances...
This morning came way too early, but I made it for the 8:30 BCP service and by the end, the tylonol kicked in and I was good. I stayed for the 10:30.
St. G's will never be the same...
I hadn't heard, but apparently there was a fire last weekend at Christ Church Mimico, so they are going to other parishes until it is repaired - thank goodness that is possible! They came and brought their praise band - into our smells and bells and kneeling and canting - what a truly amazing mix. It was so wacky it worked. Electric guitars and keyboards played by teenagers in jeans and t-shirts, next to the white clad acolytes lighting candles.
There was a little girl in one of the front rows who asked (in a voice that only little kids can get away with) "Mommy, why are they lighting candles - it's not dark in here?" I love kids!
I'm not sure which was more surprising the band for the St. G's crowd, or the incense for the Christ Church crowd. I have to admit, when the Thurifer was censing everyone, my eye was drawn to the mother of that little girl, who was staring in wide eyed amazement (mouth actually hanging open) and unsure what kind of a place she had walked into. I hope she felt comfortable, but I also hope it opened her eyes to the many ways in which people worship. I know their presence did that for many of the Kingsway crowd!

I took back the mitre box and saw to Uncle Bert tonight, and sat at the kitchen table, as is our custom, and put the world to rights over tea and cookies. Don't think we solved anything, but we did get in a few good jokes - I have to tell you his addition to the joke that has been circulating for a few years: How many (insert denomination here) does it take to change a lightbulb? For reference, I think the Anglican one was 10. 1 to change the bulb, and 9 others to form a committee for the preservation of that bulb. And so on. Well his was this:

How many Christian Scientists does it take to change a light bulb?
Stay tuned... answer to follow...

No comments: