Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Watch her call it something stupid... like Marbles!

The house feels empty. No little furry beastie curling around my feet to trip me in the morning as I stumble to the shower. No one to greet me at the door with the panicked cry for dinner. It's strange. She's lived with me for 12 years. Mum assures me that she's doing well living there. That she's scratching her behind the ears like she enjoys, and that she's happy chasing the birds through the glass of the windows. Selling my condo feels more real somehow. I've worked really hard. I thought this was what I should do. I should want to buy my own home - pride of ownership - right? It would be filled with laughter and the comforts of home. I'm on the cusp of a radical change of life and lifestyle. I've lived away from home for the 12 years that Marbles has lived with me. She was a gift in first year university. I shared that house with 7 others. In second year I shared it with 5 others, third year with 4 others, fourth year with 3 others, the next year with one other, then it was one. Just me. I've lived by myself for 7 years, but I've never really been by myself - Marbles has been there.
When my condo is sold, and I move from my home back with family, Marbles can't come. My great Uncle Bert has hosted students throughout the years, and now that my Aunt has died, he's been on his own for a few years now. I think it will be good that we both have a roommate again - but I'll miss my fuzzy, four legged one. I know, I can see her when I go home to my parents house, but it's not the same. Things change. Priorities change. If I'm going to go back to school full time, I'm going to have to get used to it.
It's only 3 years - one year at work and one and a half at school.
Then, we'll see what is in store for me with the Diocese.
That reminds me... I should really work on my application essays...

No comments: