Saturday, January 07, 2006

Ruby Thursday

To love one's enemies is definitely not an easy task. I met the most amazing woman Thursday night. Ruby is 83, on disability pension, smokes like a chimney and is in a wheelchair because she had to have her legs amputated because of diabetes. At the beginning of October she was attacked by a women on a bike who stole her purse and the $450 inside it. This lady has spunk though - she didn't give it up without a fight - one she lost, but she tried. She was pulled from her electric wheelchair and it came toppling down on her. She has spent the past two months healing from a broken shoulder and badly bruised hips. Her entire life was turned upside down in a moment. And do you know what her reaction was after this happened? The same as it is today - she said, "I would like to see them take her and make a lady out of her," she says. "Put her away somewhere and help her. She could be a good lady." Now if ever there was someone who we would feel "good" about hating it is someone who has taken advantage of a person who could not defend themselves. But that was not her reaction. She showed love, true agape, and true mercy. She is truly an inspiration and example of how to love your enemy. This woman is determined and strong and has an absolute heart of gold. Though I've never met her before, but we spent 3 hours chatting on Thursday night. She was lovely to talk with. She kept saying how nice a person I was because I went to visit her. Though I know it was a compliment, it made me wonder… why is that so unusual? Why don’t people just go and talk to each other? What are we so afraid of? I walked out of her apartment wishing I could do this everyday - meet with people, talk about love and life and God and why we are here and just try to make life better for anyone we meet while we are here - does that makes sense? As I continue to wrestle with this idea of a calling to the priesthood, last night reminded me of why. I love those conversion moments - times when you have seen yourself change because of someone else, and you see the other person changing because of you. Thanks be to God!

No comments: