Sunday, April 23, 2006

Christos Anesti...Alithos Anesti!

Happy Easter to my friends in the Orthodox tradition!
I usually celebrate with them by going to Sunday Vespers at St. Elias

Unfortunately this year I won't be able to go. But I will miss praying with the icons before the service and I will miss their wonderful custom of greeting EVERYONE in the church. It starts off like a receiving line and once you have gone through that line, you take the space on the end. Each person greeting those in the lind says with jubilation in their voice "Christ is risen" the the equally joyful response "Truly he is risen!" and they exchange kisses on the cheeks. I thank them for welcoming us to what is interestingly enough being nick named "Anglican" Vespers - 'cause we Anglicans make up a pretty good chunk of the congregation! Ecuminism can be a great thing.

"Christos Anesti.....Alithos Anesti!"

No comments: